A Stress-Free Move
Moving day madness is a reality. But what can you do in the weeks and days prior to help lessen the drama? Hiring relocation professionals would be wonderful but is not always an available option for everyone. Below you will find some tips to assist you in having a stress-free move if you decide to tackle the project yourself.
Stress-Free Move Tips
- Gather all necessary packing materials. This includes boxes, tissue paper or newspaper, bubble wrap and Styrofoam packing peanuts. These all will be of great value to you in protecting your items during your move. Check online for these materials to find better bargains. Scour local garage sale sites for people who are perhaps getting rid of boxes and other packing materials for free. This is also a valuable tip on the unpacking end of your move. Just post them free to anyone who comes and gets them, and you won’t have the hassle of disposing of them yourself.
- As you near the day of your stress-free move, collect all the other necessary basic packing materials. This includes heavy duty Scotch shipping tape rollers and permanent markers. Also grab a special box to keep all your important papers in like car titles and insurance policies. Make this box distinct so that it is easily identifiable in the move.
- Get your family and friends together and have a moving sale! Clear out all the clutter! You do not want to pack items that you are simply going to throw out or donate on the other end of your move. Keep in mind the size and layout of your new home when making these decisions. For example, if you are downsizing you may want to get rid of unneeded furniture and decorative items that will not work well in your new home. If you love to shop, there is also the fun of purchasing new items for your new home once you get settled.
- Find a system of packing that will make unpacking easier. For example, think forward; pack backward. Label your boxes “open 1st, “and “open 2nd .” Then arrange them so the “1st” box will be first to be unloaded. You can also do this in addition to labeling by room. This can make for an organized and stress-free move.
- Consider your budget for the move. Find an online moving cost calculator and do the math. Rental costs for moving trucks, gas, packing materials, babysitters for the kids, food and drinks for family and friends who may help all need to be factored in. Also consider the surprises that may pop up.
- Ask for help. Invite family and friends over to help with the move. After all you may be moving away from them and they may want the opportunity to spend time with you while they can.
- Plan to be flexible! Part of a stress free move is deciding not to stress! Just know from the start that things will likely not go according to plan. Allow yourself the time and resources to deal with these problems. Recognizing that off the bat will ensure that you are able to roll with the punches as they come.
- Separate the items you will need right away when you get to your new home. You do not want to be searching for the hand soap and toothpaste amidst all the boxes. Keep them in a backpack or suitcase to help you get through the first few days before everything is fully unpacked.
First and foremost, during a move take care of yourself! You are starting a new chapter in your life and while that can be exciting the disruption to routine can be stressful. Try to stick to your routine as much as possible. Burning the midnight oil may backfire in the long run. If you have any questions or concerns about your move let us know. We are here to help. We can also give local recommendations for professional moving help if you decide to go that route. Call us anytime!